Awareness among parents about the health and skin-related problems has raised the demand for organic products, such as baby shampoos and body wash. Organic-based products are made of 100% natural, plant-based extracts. A baby’s skin is delicate, as compared to adult skin, and therefore requires mild gentle products. Babyganics and Honest shampoos are some of the organic baby care products available in the market.
Babyganics vs Honest shampoo: Overview
Babyganics shampoo + body wash
Babyganics Shampoo & Body Wash is a thick, soft, instant-foaming cleaning agent that cleanses from head to toe and rinses clean. It creates a bubble bath keeping babies happy during the bath time and making your work easy and enjoyable. It protects and nourishes your baby’s delicate skin and gives an elegant, relaxing after-feel. Its NeoNourish Complex is specially balanced to help supplement a baby’s natural skin defenses against the environment and support the healthy development of their skin, as well as nurture & calm down the baby’s skin.
- A dense and luxurious foaming agent
- Excellent water solubility and thus easy to rinse off.
- Has glycerin that soothes the skin.
- 100% natural plant-derived and certified organic ingredients with anti-microbial benefits.
- Tear-free formula
- Hypoallergenic, thus no allergic reactions
- It has been tested by dermatologists and pediatricians.
- It is suitable for infants and babies due to its gentle and mild action
- Babyganics contains NeoNourish Seed Oil blend; a blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin, and raspberry seed oils.
- Available in a 16 oz pump bottle
- EWG (environmental work group) rating of 1, on a scale of 1 to 10(1 for the safe product)
- Available in two scents; Orange Blossom and Chamomile Verbena fragrances.
- Fragrance-free option suitable for sensitive skin and babies with breathing disorders such as asthma is also available.
- It is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oil, petrolatum, dyes, and synthetic fragrances.
- It has not been tested on animals.
The active ingredients of Babyganics shampoo are; water, sodium lauroyl methyl isethionate, caprylyl/capryl glycosides, propanediol, acrylates copolymer, sodium lauroyl oat amino acids, and glycerin. Other ingredients are; ethylhexylglycerin, citric acid, trisodium ethylenediamine disuccinate, dehydroacetic acid, solanum lycopersicum (tomato) seed oil, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) seed oil, vaccinium macrocarpon (cranberry) seed oil, Nigella Sativa (black cumin)
seed oil, rubus idaeus (red raspberry) seed oil, phenoxyethanol, sodium hydroxide, sodium phytate, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) flower extract, and Persea gratissima (avocado) fruit extract.
Babyganics is easy to use. Pour several pumps of soft, instant foam on a wet washcloth or your hand. Apply on the body and hair; bathe the baby, rinse and hooray! Your baby is clean and ready for other activities. One major limitation of this product is that the pump often tends to get stuck and needs to be adjusted and pumped a few times before the foam comes out properly.
Honest shampoo is a gentle 2-in-1 shampoo and body wash that leaves skin clean and soft. It is a tear-free cleaning agent made with Aloe and chamomile extract designed for sensitive skins that leaves your little one’s scalp and skin clean and moisturized.
Features of Honest shampoo and body wash
- Gentle for baby’s sensitive skin and scalp
- Hypoallergenic and thus gentle enough for use even on sensitive baby skin
- Dermatologist tested
- Available in four natural scents; calming lavender, nourishing sweet almond, refreshing citrus vanilla, and fragrance-free option for sensitive skin.
- It consists of naturally derived ingredients.
- Free of Parabens, Phthalates, Dyes, Synthetic Fragrances, Formaldehyde Donors, and SLS/SLES.
- Not tested on animals and has no animal by-products
- A tear-free formula that prevents eye irritation
In addition to Aloe and chamomile extracts, other ingredients include; Water (aqua), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, sodium lauryl glucosides hydroxypropyl sulfonate, disodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium chloride, sodium cocoyl isethionate, Calendula Officinalis flower extract, chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) flower extract, camellia Sinensis leaf extract, Lavandula hybrida oil, Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, glycerin, caprylyl glycol, panthenol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, caprylhydroxamic acid, triethyl citrate, gamma-nonalactone, vanillin, maltol, trisodium ethylenediamine disuccinate, sodium benzoate, sodium PCA, coco fatty acid, glutamic acid, citric acid, and linalool.
Critique of organic baby shampoo and body wash
According to independent reviewers, organic shampoos are not made of 100% natural products. The majority of the so-called 100% natural products have synthetic conditioners that enhance the beauty of hair. Parents have reported tearing, skin irritation and dryness, itchy scalp, and hardening of the baby’s hair. Nevertheless, an organic product with 95% or more organic ingredients is considered safe on baby skin and scalp.
Benefits of organic baby shampoo and body wash
There are several benefits of using organic products on your baby’s hair. Organic products are gentle on a baby’s scalp and skin. Second, they reduce the risk of dryness and irritation on the skin and scalp. Thirdly, they have no harmful components, and thus do not cause allergic reactions. Fourth, a gentle clean using organic products helps maintain hair moisture. They consist of natural extracts that are eco-friendly which means they do not pollute the environment and thus promote a safe environment.
Precaution while using baby shampoo
- Use as directed by the manufacturer. For external use only. It should not be swallowed or used in ears and on eyes.
- Keep out of reach of children. Young ones should not be left unsupervised while bathing.
- In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with cold water.
- In case of ingestion, contact emergency services and show them the ingredient label of the product. Do not attempt to induce vomiting
- Always buy products in recognized stores to avoid substandard products.
- Check the ingredients before purchase.
In conclusion, organic baby shampoo and body wash are well tolerated by infants’ and toddlers’ delicate skin when used correctly. It is, therefore, advisable to check the ingredients of shampoo and reviews from other users and independent reviewers before purchasing it. Babyganics and Honest shampoo have met the EWG (environmental work group) rating of 1, which indicates that they meet safety requirements.