Ubbi vs Diaper Genie
Let’s not sugarcoat things; changing diapers can be traumatic. As a new parent, you may be surprised to establish how much of a role poop and diaper disposal play in your life. How many diaper changes will your kid undergo, and how challenging it’s to make the nursery fresh and smell-free.
Although a diaper pail is more of a luxury than a necessity, don’t underestimate its importance in your life. You need a safe place with an airtight lid to prevent the smell from permeating the whole room to dispose of diapers. And if you’ve narrowed your search to Ubbi and Genie, you’re in the right place. Here’s to more on Ubbi and Genie’s diaper pails.
Ubbi vs Diaper Genie: Overview
About Ubbi Diaper Pail
Ubbi’s diaper pail is new to the diaper pail scene. It’s revolutionary and dubbed a modern take on Diaper Genie. But is it worth the hype? Let’s take a closer look.
How Ubbi Diaper Pail Work
Ubbi diaper pail is simple and easy to use, with steel construction as a major selling point. The steel construction eliminates odors from dirty places. This pail is lined with a snug rubber seal on its opening that helps keep it airtight.
Ubbi’s lid slides backwards instead of the usual flip-open top design common in other diaper pails. This lid is reported to prevent mixing up and releasing the off smell inside the diaper pail. However, that’s partly true, according to customer reviews.
Many online complained that they did not feel any bad smells when seated in the nursery. However, upon opening the diaper pail, the smell escapes rapidly and fills the room, making it uncomfortable.
The good thing with Ubbi is that its design lets you use any diaper bag you prefer, not necessarily their brand. This gives parents more flexibility, unlike Diaper Genie.
Pros Of Ubbi Diaper Pail
- Engineered seal: Ubbi diaper pail comes with a rubber seal that keeps the mess contained.
- Made of metal: Ubbi diaper pail is the only pail made from metal rather than plastic, making it one of its most unique features. And unlike plastic, steel is not porous. Therefore, it holds on to odors better than plastic.
- No need for special bags – another unique feature of Ubbi pail is that it’s not a must to use its bags. You can use other bags, saving time and money.
Cons Of Ubbi Diaper Pail
- Price: Ubbi’s price is on the higher end, retailing at around $70.
- Smell – despite the claims that this diaper pail contains smells, many customers refute it, saying it’s not true. Ubbi also does not have any mechanism to contain the smell.
- Door sticks: Ubbi’s pail door slides straight back. And since the door has a rubber lining, its seal often sticks, making it hard to close.
About Diaper Genie Diaper Pail
Diaper Genie is a good example of a product that does much of your hard work. It’s packed with many great features, giving you peace that used and dirty diapers are in a sanitary environment, and your home smells clean and fresh.
How Diaper Genie Work
The Diaper Genie has three basic mechanisms:
- A foot pedal that flips the lid open, enabling hands-free diaper disposal.
- Self-sealing diaper chute containing the stink.
- A pop-open body that pulls forward, letting you change the bag.
The system this diaper pail uses to lock in odors has changed considerably. Diaper Genie used to twist the bag after each dirty diaper was tossed back then. However, the new models use a one-way compartment that drops dirty diapers into the pail immediately after the lid is back down. This ensures the smell doesn’t escape and no smelly nursery.
Diaper Genie also requires a special propriety bag like a cartridge that sits inside the pail. This cartridge is cut into individual bags by a concealed bag cutter inside the pail. Once full, press the release button for the front cover to pop forward so you can remove and replace the dirty bag.
Pros Of Diaper Genie
- Price: Diaper Genie falls in the mid price -range, retailing at $47.
- Hands-free – the convenient foot pedal lets you trash dirty diapers easily without opening the door.
- Size: Diaper Genie is taller, and you don’t have to lean to trash diapers.
Cons Of Diaper Genie
- Gets jammed – this diaper pail gets jammed too often, which can be annoying.
- Needs special bags – Diaper Genie needs special bags, which may cost more than regular trash bags.
- Made of plastic – plastic is porous and doesn’t contain smell well.
Differences Between Ubbi And Diaper Genie
Ubbi holds up to 55 newborn diapers, while Diaper Genie can hold up to about 35 newborn diapers. This gives Ubbi an upper hand if capacity is your desire.
Ubbi is made of sleek steel, making the pail less flimsy, stronger, and less prone to smelly odors. Diaper Genie is made of plastic but has a carbon filler in its lid designed to reduce smells.
Ubbi has a child safety lock but doesn’t have a hands-free diaper disposal experience. This makes disposing of diapers a bit tricky.
Diaper Genie doesn’t have a child safety lock but comes to its hands-free, making diaper disposal a less stressful experience.
Ubbi and Diaper Genie are versatile and can be used with disposable or cloth diapers. However, you have to buy special bags for Diaper Genie, unlike Ubbi, which you can use any trash bag with.
Ubbi is more expensive than Diaper Genie, almost two times its price.
Ubbi vs Diaper Genie: Which Is Better?
Depending on what you need in a diaper pail, both brands are good and leading in the market. But here are a few snippets:
Ubbi is made of steel, comes with a close-door function, and you can use any trash bags with it. The only drawbacks are it’s more expensive, shorter, and said not to contain smells well as it claim.
On the other hand, Diaper Genie is more affordable, has a foot pedal offering hands-free diaper disposal, and contains smells pretty well. The only downsides are that it’s made of plastic and you must use its trash bag, not other brands.